Please note that all times listed are EST (Eastern Standard Time; -5:00 UTC)
Enter Networking Lounge, Connect with your Industry Colleagues
- Start your day off right and make connections with industry leadership.
- Join “drop-in” roundtables discussing current and relevant topics.
- Schedule 1-2-1 video meetings with peers or vendors.
- Gather essential content and get exclusive offers at virtual exhibit booths.
Welcome from your Host
Gain insight into today’s sessions so you can get the most out of your experience and maximize your value.
Panel: REGULATORY ROUNDUP
Identify and Resolve Top Regulatory Concerns
Over the course of the past year, the CFIA has accumulated several infractions, some minor, some serious. Discover the CFIA’s most common areas of concern and the best ways to address them. Obtain a thorough understanding of:
- How to work with the CFIA to ensure full compliance
- Which areas of concern are the most likely to be flagged
- How to excel in compliance
Uncover food regulators’ top concerns and determine the most effective way to respond.
Keynote: LEGAL STRATEGIES
Avoid Litigation and Protect your Consumers with Enhanced Food Safety Practices
From working with the USDA to better regulate pathogenic E. coli to helping actualize the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act, Bill Marler is a longtime advocate for a safer food supply. He was also instrumental in litigating some of the largest and deadliest foodborne outbreaks. Gain first-hand knowledge from a food safety champion to better protect your consumers and brand. Leverage this in-depth expertise to:
- Improve your monitoring and safe food practices to better protect consumers.
- Protect your organization from costly litigation in the event of a recall.
- Deliver best in class food safety practices across your organization.
Implement proactive food safety processes to avoid litigation, and establish your reputation as a compliance leader.
Industry Expert: BLOCKCHAIN POSSIBILITIES
Achieve Food Traceability and Transparency with Blockchain Applications
Often associated with cryptocurrency, blockchain is now being used to enhance trust and transparency in the food industry. Capitalize on the unique benefits that accompany the digitization of information with blockchain. Take away an action plan to:
- Leverage blockchain’s ability to improve sustainability by reducing waste and lowering cost inefficiencies.
- Enlist blockchain to enable the capture of data beyond traceability attributes.
- Utilize blockchain as a deterrent to food fraud by creating a digital footprint.
Realize the benefits of blockchain to improve your supply chain surveillance and efficiencies.
Panel: COVID-19 AND ECOMMERCE
Maximize the Business Opportunities Presented by COVID-19
With most retailers and restaurants shut down for large portions of the year, governments relaxed some regulations to make it easier for businesses to sell their products. Beer, wine and spirit producers were permitted to sell directly to customers – even across provincial borders – to small farms and slaughterhouses. Develop actionable strategies to:
- Capitalize on new market opportunities to grow your revenues.
- Negotiate the latest opportunities in interprovincial trade compliance and direct-to-consumer sales.
- Ensure your organization stays ahead of the regulatory rulings as changes occur in the near-term.
Accelerate business growth with up-to-date knowledge of the regulations surrounding interprovincial trade and direct-to-consumer sales.
Build Relationships and Visit Virtual Booths
Expand your network and exchange expertise with your peers. Take advantage of our intuitive platform to deepen your knowledge and connect with industry leaders and experts.
- Pose your biggest questions to leading solution providers through 1:1 video conversations or chat.
- Join “drop-in” roundtables in the networking lounge and make connections that last beyond these two days.
- Experience live demos and test drive new technology. Source leading-edge content from virtual booths.
Case Study: RECALL PLANNING WITH KRAFT HEINZ
Protect your Customers and Brand with a Proactive Recall Strategy
Most, if not all, food producers will have a recall experience. It is therefore vital that you have a solid plan in place to manage the process. Take back practical solutions to:
- Develop robust procedures to effectively handle the recall.
- Create a strong communication plan to satisfy regulators and reassure customers and suppliers.
- Build back trust among all of your stakeholders.
Benefit from the best practices and lessons learned of one of North America’s largest food and beverage companies.
Case Study: FOOD LABELLING
Bolster your Labelling Compliance Program to Avoid Recalls and Censure
Complying with food labeling laws is always a pressing area of concern for food manufacturers. Undeclared allergens, including the recent addition of sesame, continue to be an issue, and there are new anxieties surrounding health claims. Source practical tips to:
- Work with suppliers to confirm all ingredients are accounted for.
- Ensure labelling thoroughly meets regulatory requirements for allergens.
- Meet the Bio Engineering disclosure 2022 requirements for export to the U.S.
- Successfully navigate the latest changes to labelling and health claims.
Create a comprehensive plan to comply with all labelling requirements for regulatory relief and increased opportunity.
PANEL: Innovation and Novel Foods
How can we ensure innovation while keeping food products safe and compliant
R&D is essential to improving product offerings and optimizing consumer health. Products that claim to provide improved energy, better sleep and improved mental focus are driving product innovation – and higher sales. Create your blueprint to:
- Build an innovation pipeline that will design and align with regulatory policy
- Drive innovation while managing risks and ensuring food safety and quality
- Partner with regulators to ensure your novel products are compliant
- Create innovative products that build consumer confidence while complying with regulations
Build an innovation-based product line that is compliant and safe
Panel: Covid 19 and Worker Safety
How Food Companies Have Led the Way in Developing Safer Workplaces During the Pandemic
With food being an essential product, these producers and sellers were the first to develop protocols for keeping workers and customers safe. Now, more than a year into the pandemic, what have we learned and how will these learnings impact regulations? Take away tools and tactics to:
- Ensure workers and customers feel safe by implementing sanitation procedures, physical distancing, clear signage and monitoring initiatives.
- Anticipate and respond quickly to safety challenges.
- Amend policies and procedures to accommodate customer and supplier contact mitigation.
- Develop in-house solutions that will meet safety and regulatory requirements.
Apply lessons learned from companies on the front lines of the pandemic to keep your workers and customers safe.
Summary from your Host
Review the key solutions and takeaways from today’s sessions. Source a summary of actions points to implement in your work. Discuss tomorrow’s highlights!
Virtual Happy Hour
- Get to know fellow delegates in “drop-in” virtual roundtables.
- Engage in 1:1 video conversation with peers or vendors.
- Connect with other attendees based on similar interests and business objectives using our “recommend matches” tool.